Monday, July 19, 2010

My Book in Pictures: Going Bovine by Libba Bray

For the Summer Break Reading Challenge activity #9 our task was to create a blog post using pictures to tell the story we are currently reading or have recently read. I knew I had to use Going Bovine as I just finished listening to it on an audio book. This was by far my favorite book to listen to. I actually started out reading it and then downloaded the free audio version from my library's web site. I know I won't be able to do this book justice (you should read this book), but here goes...

Sixteen year old Cameron Smith is kind of a Slacker. His motto is "No expectations equals no failed expectations equals no hurt feelings. Everything's cool." Everything changes when he learns he has Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, the human form of Mad Cow Disease. 


Cameron is visited in the hospital by a punk angel named Dulcie. She tells him there's a cure for his disease but he has to find Dr. X...oh and he has to save the universe too.

Cameron sets off on a wild road trip with his sidekick Gonzo to find Dr. X. Along the way he they must battle the forces of evil.


"Who's your Caddy"
A side note here- this book is filled with "udder" teenage mayhem and hilarious laugh out loud quotes. Every parent of a teenage boy (and every teenage boy) should read this book!


Enter Balder, the Viking god (yard gnome). He's had a rough go of it...being toted around and humiliated by some frat boys. He joins up with Gonzo and Cameron and offers his great Norse wisdom too.


Cameron's adventures are actually the result of his diseased brain however his trip (no pun intended) is significant in finding out who he really is. The message spoke loud and clear to me that it's never too late to become the person you were meant to be...


Going Bovine was the 2010 Printz award winner.

4 comments:

Karin Perry said...

Nice! I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. The pictures just make me want to even more.
Karin

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I LOVED this book! Such a great road trip, chock full of imaginative adventures and debacles!

Chelle said...

Cool. I want to read this now. I didn't care for A Great and Terrible Beauty but I did like Bray's writing style and thought she had a good sense of humor. I may just have to put Bovine on my TBR!

Erika Powell said...

I have had this on my to-read list for a while and I really like your pics. great job
My Picture Challenge

Post a Comment

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's Spooky and Attic Oddities Kit